What’s at Stake:
Changes to the Comprehensive Plan that make it easier for developers to build in wetlands.
Approvals of new mines in Lee County.
What You Can Do:
Contact the County Commissioners
District 1: John Manning 239-533-2224
District 2: Cecil Pendergrass 239-533-2227
District 3: (Position Open) 239-533-2223
District 4: Brian Hamman,Vice Chair 239-533-2226
District 5: Frank Mann 239-533-2225
You can use the talking points in the sample email below in your voicemail.
Attend the Meeting
If you would like to attend and speak to this item in person, the address is 2120, Main Street, downtown Fort Myers, FL 33901. The meeting will be held in the second floor Commission meeting Board room.
Comprehensive Plan – the Commission approved the changes to the Comprehensive Plan and forwarded it to the State. There is an appeal process, and the ECCL will monitor all opportunities to support an appeal. Despite this setback, individual new mines must be heard and approved by the Commissioners, so your input is still effective.
Current application under consideration: The County Hearing Examiner recently sent their support for a new mine by Troyer Brothers off State Route 82. This mine will be voted upon by the Commissioners at some point in the near future (date not set yet). Read the Report.
- The mine total area is 1732.75 acres.
- 781 acre mine pit, 45% of total area.
- 2000 feet from nearest residence.
- Expected to begin mining operations in 2025 and operate for 30 years, after completion Rt 82 improvements.
- No truck access from the mine to Corkscrew Road.
- No information in HEX report on expected Corkscrew Road traffic.
1) Cite details on how this mine would affect you adversely. Use detail. (Info on the DR/GR is available here). Just saying you “don’t want mines” is not going to get the results you want.
2) Customize the message. The message below is incomplete because simply pressing a button to “send” is not valued nearly as highly as a customized, personal message from you to the Commissioners.
Edit the message in the form below and it will send to all the Commissioners.
Protect our Wetlands from Comprehensive Plan Changes
This petition is now closed.
End date: Aug 22, 2019
Signatures collected: 115